King’s Lynn Directory: Wa-Wo

 

WALKER, Mr

A partner in Turner & Walker (q.v.), reported by the Cambridge Independent Press in July 1854 as operating ‘the photographic process’ in Lynn at an unspecified location.

It seems possible that he was the Samuel Walker who, in the 1840s, had held the daguerreotype licence for York.

WALLIS & MANDERS

On 1st January 1877 Christopher Wallis (q.v.) and Victor Manders (q.v.) took over the Blackfriars Street studio of the retiring William Woodhouse (q.v.), Manders’ uncle.  In November 1877 they acquired a second studio, at 4 London Road, from Edwin Bullock (q.v.) They ran this additional studio as a branch of Wallis and Manders until the summer of 1878, when they rebranded it, under the management of Wallis, as the King’s Lynn Photographic Company (q.v.).  Manders left Lynn at some time between 1879 and early 1881. Wallis left in the spring or summer of 1881, and the London Road studio was taken over by Edwin Mowll (q.v.).

Trade directory evidence:

(as Wallis & Manders)

Blackfriars Street, Lynn

HN1877, KN1879

(as King’s Lynn Photographic Company)

4 London Road, Lynn

KN1879

WALLIS, Christopher

The son of a Weymouth photographer, Thomas Samuel Wallis, Christopher Wallis  formed a partnership with Victor Manders (q.v.) in 1876, when they took over the Blackfriars Street studio of William Woodhouse. (For their joint career, see Wallis & Manders.) Wallis left the town in 1881 to open a studio in Newport, Monmouthshire. He later worked in Porth, Market Harborough, Leicester and Aston.

WEALE, Charles E

This is probably the Charles Weale who had previously operated in Leicester, Melton Mowbray and Birmingham. (His father, also Charles E Weale, had a studio in Tamworth, so some confusion is possible.)

Weale took over the 4 London Road studio from Edwin Mowll (q.v.) in May 1888. He had moved on by the end of 1890, and the studio had passed into the hands of John Henry Hall (q.v.).

Weale left a stock of mounts which Hall had overprinted with his own name. This overprinting has sometimes become faded, so a Weale mount should be checked carefully for signs that the photo it bears may really date from the time of his successor. 

Trade directory evidence:

4 London Road, Lynn

WN1890

WEBB, W

The sole evidence of Webb so far is a postcard of an outdoor Edwardian family group stamped ‘W Webb’ and alleged to be the product of a Lynn photographer. He may have been the W Webb who was recorded by directories in 1914 and 1916 as running studios in Norwich.

WHITE, Frederick

Stationer and newsagent of Windsor Road. ‘Fred White: Publisher, Windsor Road, King’s Lynn; was printed on the front of the postcards he sold in the early 1900s, but the images prove to be those of national publisher, F Hartmann, for whom he was presumably acting as local representative.

WILSON, John

A photographic con-man who worked in Lynn and the surrounding area in the spring of 1893.  He took money for photos he claimed to have taken, went away to, supposedly, process the plates, and failed to return. He was arrested at his lodgings in All Saints Street and eventually sentenced to three months’ hard labour.

WOODEHOUSE, William

Though Norfolk-born, Woodhouse had spent most of his life in London, where he gained photographic experience in the studio of a relative (another William Woodhouse). He came to Lynn and opened his Blackfriars Road studio on 19th December 1859. At the beginning of 1866 he hired as assistant J A Prout (q.v.), who took over the studio in his own name in April of that year. Woodhouse reacquired the business in December 1867 or January 1868. He eventually retired at the end of 1876, when the studio passed to Wallis & Manders (q.v.).

Trade directory evidence:

Blackfriars Road, Lynn

HN1863, KN1865

7 Blackfriars Road, Lynn

WN1864*

Blackfriars Street,† Lynn

HN1868, KN1869, HN1872, KN1875

*Appears as ‘Wodehouse’.

†Same studio. Part of Blackfriars Road was absorbed into the newly-named Blackfriars Street in 1867. Woodhouse was slow to respond to the change, so mounts marked ‘Blackfriars Road’ are not necessarily pre-1867.

WORTS

An itinerant photographer whose first name is unknown, and who claimed to have worked in one of Richard Beard’s London studios. He went into partnership with William Crews (q.v.) some time after January 1853, and a Lynn Independent Press advertisement in February 1854 announced that the partners were in town for the annual Mart.

WORTS & CREWS 

Itinerant photographers; probably daguerreotypists. A Lynn Independent Press advertisement of 21st February 1854 announced that Worts (see above) & Crews (c.v.) were in town for the annual Mart and were based at the Wheat Sheaf Inn, Norfolk Street.

 

 Return to King’s Lynn index