The only evidence for Carman comes from the 1901 census, when he was living in Friars’ Street and described as a ‘publican and photographer’, aged 40, born Norwich. In the 1911 census he was still in Lynn, but he was described as a ‘scenic painter’.
CAWSTON & Son
Jeweller and optician of 11 St James’ Street, acting as agent for James Valentines ‘photographic views of Lynn and country’, c. 1890, (A Guide to Leading Commercial Enterprises of Norfolk & Suffolk, British Industrial Publishing Company, Birmingham, 1890).
Manager of Brenner’s Bazaar (q.v.), 105 High Street, in the years immediately before the First World War. The shop, part of a small chain of bargain stores, sold postcards by such national publishers as Valentine, but Chaplin may also have commissioned and published some views (particularly of the docks) in his own right. He served and died in the First World War.
Recorded in the 1871 census as a photographer, aged 31, lodging at the Dog & Duck Inn, Pilot Street, he was probably either an itinerant or an employee in someone else’s studio. He may have been the same James Codman whose studio at White Horse Plain, Yarmouth was listed in KN1875. He is also likely to have been the James Codman, photographer, who died at Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex, in 1879 (Chelmsford Chronicle, 22nd August 1879).
(An itinerant photographer named Rebecca Codman is noted on the Fairground Ancestors website as attending Elmham fair in 1871. She is believed to be the wife of James’ brother, John, who was also an itinerant photographer.)
COSSER, George Whitfield, & Co
Hampshire-born George Cosser settled in Essex, ran a studio in Colchester, and established branches in Ipswich, Devizes and Lynn. He took on the Lynn studio after T Smith & Son (q.v.) gave it up in 1911. By May 1915 the premises had passed to Leopold Vilenkin (q.v.)
Cosser’s postcards tend to list all his studios on the back, which can make it difficult to identify photographs taken in King’s Lynn.
Trade directory evidence:
60 High Street, Lynn
An itinerant photographer – probably a daguerreotypist. Crews claimed to have worked in one of Richard Beard’s London studios. He had been working alone in Bungay in 1853, but by February 1854 he had formed a partnership with Worts (first name unknown). An advertisement in the Lynn Independent Press, 21st February 1854, shows Worts & Crews (q.v.) in town for the annual Mart. Crews ran a studio in Camden Town, St Pancras, in the first half of the 1860s, and he died in Watford in 1882.
Return to King’s Lynn index