London-born Elliott took over the studio at 7 Blackfriars Street – formerly run by William Woodhouse (q.v.) and Wallis & Manders (q.v.) – in 1881. At the time of the census he was shown as ‘photographer’ boarding in Priory Lane. Though only 25, he was already a widower. His business seems to have been short-lived, and no evidence has been found of a subsequent photographic career.
ELY, T H
An itinerant daguerreotypist and the town’s first professional photographer. Press advertisements and reports show Ely working in the New Market Rooms, Lynn, from 13th February 1844 until mid-March 1844.
Ely was the first Norfolk licensee of the daguerreotype process. He opened a studio at Royal Bazaar, St Andrew’s Street, Norwich, on 8th December 1843. This studio was retained until August 1844, but during that time he also made forays into other towns, of which Lynn was one. Another was Great Yarmouth, where he operated in Victoria Road from June or July until September 1844. A second Norwich studio was established at 1 Exchange Street from 11th July 1845 until some time in October. He also worked briefly in Swaffham during 1845.
GAINSBORO’ Photo Co/GAINSBOROUGH Photo Company
Two businesses calling themselves the Gainsboro’/Gainsborough Photo Co(mpany) operated in Lynn within a short space of time.
One (known from a report in the Lincolnshire Echo, 11th May 1907) was run by George Mason and Foster (first name unknown) in Norfolk Street, using rooms let by Charles Holman, tobacconist. They left his premises hurriedly in January 1907 and subsequently became franchisees of a ‘Stickybacks’ studio in Ipswich.
The second Gainsborough studio (photographer or photographers unidentified) was at 20 St James’ Street, and advertised its services in a local directory/yearbook for 1908. A photographer from this studio was present at the opening of the 1909 Mart.
Other Gainsborough studios are known to have existed in England and Scotland, so it is conceivable that (like Mason and Foster’s later venture), these businesses were part of a franchise chain.
Trade directory evidence:
20 St James’ Street, King’s Lynn
GATHERCOLE, William E
Born 1885, King’s Lynn; died 1951, Willesden, Middlesex. A carpenter by trade, Gathercole also set up in the early 1900s as a publisher of postcards based in West Lynn (where his mother and stepfather ran the Freebridge Hotel from 1902). The personalised serial number on surviving views (e.g. ‘SER:95 WEG’) show that he was taking his own pictures, rather than just retailing views marketed by a national publisher.
GIBSON, Thomas Borrman
In 1896 a Thomas Borrman Gibson of 3 Purfleet Street registered a picture for copyright at Stationers’ Hall, naming himself as both copyright owner and copyright author of the image. Gibson is known to have been a bill poster, and the picture, ‘Photograph of sandwich boy entitled The Young Advertiser’, may have been a one-off for promotional purposes, rather than evidence of a sustained career in photography.
GOODCHILD, Percival Macdonald
Born 1877, Leamington Spa; died 1959, Lynn. The main part of Goodchild’s career lies beyond the scope of this directory. In 1901 he was working as a photographer (perhaps, at that stage, a photographer’s assistant) in Leamington. Kelly’s Warwickshire, 1908, lists Goodchild & Co, photographers, at 2 Colonnade, Victoria Terrace, Leamington. By 1911, he was in Lynn and working as assistant to Amy Purdy (q.v.) at 84 London Road. He bought the studio from her on her retirement in 1929. His family business continued into the next generation, and at a series of addresses, for well over half a century.
Return to King’s Lynn index